Monday, September 7, 2009

Mantras: Negative v. Positive

Elizabeth Gilbert, author of 'Eat, Pray, Love', says "The Yogic sages say that all the pain of a human life is caused by words, as is all the joy. We create words to define our experience and those words bring attendant emotions that jerk us around like dogs on a leash. We get seduced by our own mantras (I'm lonely... I'm a failure... I'm lonely... I'm a failure) and we become monuments to them. To stop talking for a while, then, is to attempt to strip away the power of words, to stop choking ourselves with words, to liberate ourselves from our suffocating mantras."

This was posted on the Shiny Yoga blog (listed under my Sites of Interest) and I have to say, before I say what I came to say, that I need to give this book another chance.  I was given a copy by a friend and read the first few chapters only to be put off.  Perhaps I was jealous that anyone could have the flexibility to travel the world in search of the divine essence of life, perhaps I wasn't ready for such a truth-telling, perhaps a little of both.

Nevertheless, this book has crossed my path in many ways over the last few months, references made to, summaries of, etc., and ALWAYS, I am moved by what I read.  The time has come for me to get over myself and give it a go...again.

Back to the original clip I shared.

"The Yogic sages say that all the pain of a human life is caused by words, as is all the joy. We create words to define our experience and those words bring attendant emotions that jerk us around like dogs on a leash. We get seduced by our own mantras (I'm lonely... I'm a failure... I'm lonely... I'm a failure) and we become monuments to them. To stop talking for a while, then, is to attempt to strip away the power of words, to stop choking ourselves with words, to liberate ourselves from our suffocating mantras."

What mantras are seducing you?

Is it possible to create new mantras that we will become monuments to?

Is it possible to resurrect our courage and dare to live into that which we can hardly imagine?

Is it possible to live before our time to die?

There are so many hang-ups tangling and hindering our progress.  These hang-ups stem from stories we have told ourselves over the course of our lives, our negative mantras.

We need new stories~we have been ghost-written for too long.  The time has come to author our own lives.

No comments: