Sunday, December 13, 2009

Prayer of St. Francis

I am in beautiful North Georgia visiting my parents and siblings with my children.

I will certainly post some pics tomorrow as we head toward the mountains but in the meantime, a story.

I went to church with my family this morning in a gesture of love - I thought it time to make peace with the church I left over 17 years ago.

Instead, I felt sound affirmation for my decision. Everytime I thought I might just be able to get on board, like maybe they loved and accepted all beings, like maybe they could love past differences, like maybe they did not need to change someone elses heart to have their own relationship with their own god...

...they would talk of successful mission trips where Muslims were shown the ere of their ways or how they referred to those, namely Muslims, who do not believe Jesus is the son of god, as living in darkness and it was their duty to redeem them...show those fools the light.

It made me sad and depleted me as I sat through it because I love the color of this world, every shade, every hue...I find it freakin' brilliant.

To that end, for my own peace, I give you my favorite prayer...because I do pray...just not for manipulation of anothers heart or 'soul salvation'.

I pray for peace, for love, for happiness and contentment...I pray for all.

Prayer of Saint Francis of Assisi

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
and where there is sadness, joy.

O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek
to be consoled as to console;
to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive;
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.

Amen

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

5 comments:

Eco Yogini said...

yep. love that prayer.

I go to Catholic messe each holiday with my mom because it makes her happy...
but for myself it's always like you- reaffirmation.

had an interesting conversation last night with a friend about what we believe... he mentioned his wife not being able to find a church and when I asked what she 'was' he answered 'Christian'... which really irritates me- as if protestants/baptists are the only 'christians'... and I'm not even a Christian! lol.

religion is such a touchy subject- perhaps because Faith is so important for everyone.

I will be joining you on the gesture of love- this Christmas at my mom's church :)

Tina said...

Yes...I get it...and I too will do the same again

'Seek to understand more than be understood'... Though I prefer both :)

Your friends reply was funny...Christians. As if to say, enough said. Talk about speaking without saying a word :)

Claudia said...

Beautiful prayer!

Brenda P. said...

I'm toying with taking my 5 yr old to a Christmas Eve service, just so he can see what "going to church" is. I was raised Methodist, so I don't have to deal with mission-stuff, but I stopped going to church in high school. Over the years I have completely lost my stomach for organized religion.

Even so, I'm not sure how to explain all of this to Eamonn, so I figured I'd just show him. I'm a sucker for ceremony and Xmas eve is so nice with all the candles and carols.

So we'll see. I'm not expecting a whole lot of judgement, just some pretty music...

Anonymous said...

St Francis is the patron saint of San Francisco, and as thus, holds a special place in my heart. He loved animals, and was an important part of animal rights - Animals were treated very badly. We've certainly come full circle. Now we have Pet Superstores! St. Francis would be glad to know that.