Sunday, December 7, 2008

I choose

I choose my breath
I choose my reaction
I choose my movement, my words, my path.

In choosing, I empower myself and acknowledge the life force within me and embrace it as worthy and enough and significant.

I was put in a situation the other day that reminded me of all of this--reminded me of my choice.

I was sitting in the office of my day job and watched my car get rear-ended by a delivery truck.

I rose from my desk in a huff, walked down the hall in a huff--also called my 'sHiTaKe!' moment-- but as I approached the door and prepared myself to meet this person face-to-face, this person who certainly did not intend to hit my car, this person who would not have arranged this on purpose, this person deserving of my patience and compassion, as I approached the door, I chose peace.

I wasn't dancing into the parking lot mind you, but I centered on that walk to the door and shifted my response to one I could be proud of, to one that better reflected the state of peace I had on my inside before the collision of vehicles, to one that aligned with the person I want to be.

I chose.

And because of how good it felt, I will choose again.

No comments: