Sunday, January 4, 2009

Ahimsa

There are 8 limbs of yoga--typically my practice involves only asana (postures), pranayama (breath affecting mind) and dhyana (meditation), but as my practice unfolds, I seek more--ways of moving my practice from the mat, from merely the personal.

This month's issue of Yoga Journal explores the yamas and niyamas, the ethical precepts or core values. According to the article, these precepts are the starting place of the practice, "meant to be practiced before your first sun salutation".


The yamas are the restraints and they include:

Nonviolence

Truthfulness

Nonstealing

Energy Moderation

Nongrasping



The niyamas are observances and they include:

Purity

Contentment

Right Effort or Self Discipline

Self Study

Dedication to the highest...if not "God" than the highest in you.


This week I am focusing on ahimsa--nonviolence, nonharming or peacefulness.

For me, the opportunities to practice ahimsa are abundant. Nonviolence in my words, in my interactions with others, the environment, small living things and larger living things, nonviolence with myself--the thoughts that consume me, the regard I give myself, the way I push through a day, a feeling, a situation, my practice...

Ahimsa.

May there be peace on your path, in your heart, in your mind and held above all else.

No comments: