Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Gayatri Mantra

Upon collecting music for my yoga classes, I came across Gayatri Mantra sung by Tina Malia and Shimshai.

The more I listened to the musical variation, the more I was pulled toward the greater meaning, as I often am with mantra. I think that's the magic of Sanskrit--your soul knows the deeper meaning before the mind and because it resonates deep within, you are pulled toward a literal translation.

(Gayatri, the goddess)


The Gayatri Mantra is as follows:

Aum Bhur Bhuva Svah

Tat Savitur Varenyam

Bhargo Devasya Dhimahi

Dhiyo Yo Naha Prachodayat

Based on my preliminary study of the mantra, what I understand so far is that the Gayatri Mantra is also a prayer, one that petitions for guidance of the mind. A prayer for release from the trappings of ego--from cravings, desire, pride and attachment. A prayer to guide the seeker closer to enlightenment--closer to pure form and love.

When my greatest challenge is one of releasing attachment and the intoxication of my overwhelming sensory feed, this mantra/prayer found its way into my life, my frame of reference, at precisely the right moment.

No comments: