Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Cooking, yoga--whatev'

I feel a recipe is only a theme, which an intelligent cook can play each time with a variation--Madame Benoit

Cooking is a wonderful way in which we can express our creativity. We can improvise with herbs, experiment with color and presentation--Lissa Coffey

These quotes were in my inbox this morning and, perhaps because I LOVE to cook, I was drawn to a deeper consideration. First, I couldn't agree more--I always look to recipes as 'ideas' or 'suggestions' and not an end-all-set-in-stone sort of thing. I vary to my taste, to what's on hand and my family's liking.

As I read and reread, I couldn't help but find the applicability to yoga practice. Each posture is only a theme which a mindful practitioner can play each time with a variation--our practice can express our creativity as we improvise with modifications, experiment with breath and depth...ahhh.

I was somewhat of an explorer this morning on the mat--my practice followed a pre-dawn lover's quarrel.

Next time, just wash the goddamn strawberries--augh.

This was at 5:00 AM. I didn't even think I would make it to the mat but after things began to fizzle and our voices held tones of surrender, I decided there was nowhere else I would rather be.

I unrolled my mat, lit my candles and incense and clicked the "Bliss" channel on my Pandora--I didn't know where I was going with my practice or if I would even lift my butt.

My breath began to settle me and that was good enough to bring me further in...okay, maybe a Yin Butterfly, uh-huh, good, so perhaps a reclined hero, yup, just what I needed, now Down Dog...

You get the picture--I began to stir, then I simmered and finally, the marination, uh, I mean meditation.

Namaste'

No comments: