Thursday, September 17, 2009

Meeting Hostility w/Love

I'm going to need some help on this because I have yet to distance myself enough or diffuse my feelings enough to be clear.

I was working for a client today, as I do everyday.  As most know, I work with sexual assault victims and, depending on where they are in their healing or the levels in their personal reservoir of strength, they may need more or less of me at any given time.

Today, I needed to talk to a detective to gather the details surrounding an investigation and after a tug-of-war conversation where the detective took every opportunity to show resistance (read: puff his chest), I'm afraid I got nothing.

At some point in the conversation, he began to raise his voice while speaking to me in a tone of condescension and I interrupted him--this was enough.  I intended to redirect.

Then...

...he SLAMMED the phone down, apparently deciding on his own that this conversation was OVER.

How do you deal with someone like this?

We are supposed to be on the same team.

When you encounter people like this, what do you pull from to interact without chaos or anger? 

No comments: